january inspiration

Being generally slow on the uptake, I have only just discovered small magazine. It's a beautifully designed and produced 'online glossy' devoted to small people and all the creative artists who make things designed for children, inspired by children, intended for children to enjoy, play with, make and do, or, as they put it themselves, "small is a magazine of creative work on a small scale and for the small size". Every issue is packed full of wonderful inspiration.

Wordsworth and Coleridge used to ponder a lot about the essence of childhood and whether we could ever reproduce that wonder and magic with which a child sees the world. For them, at least part of the answer was to spend time with little children, which wasn't a problem as they had loads between them. Now my children are grown up men I often miss that wide-open-ness that children carry around with them, like a key to another magical world.

Maya of Maya*Made is the latest creative artist to be interviewed by Margaret at Resurrection Fern, who is starting the New Year by asking various artists and makers to describe how they find inspiration. One of the things Maya says is that she tries to look at the world as if it were brand new, through her childrens' eyes. I can't recommend Margaret's Inspiration Week series highly enough - each day someone new takes centre stage and talks about their work, their blog and/or Etsy shop. Do go and have a read as you'll definitely take something away from it.

Make sure, too, to have a look at Margaret's own beautiful and finely detailed work, inspired by the natural world and always exquisitely photographed. I have absolutely loved her winter pine cones in ice that she has shown this Christmas.

8 comments:

Margie Oomen said...

it is interesting that you mentioned small magazine since Maya from maya*made wrote the diy craft for the last issue. It like everything maya does has a beautiful natural aesthetic. Thanks so much for mentioning my inspiration series on your blog. I am amazed by the generosity of the artists/writers at what is for many the busiest time of the year.

Sue said...

Thanks Margaret, I love the way things link to each other - there is so much to find out isn't there?!

Gilly said...

Sue, you do find the most beautiful things!

Bobo Bun said...

Isn't it strange how each blog has it's own atmosphere. Each time I read yours it feels a calm soulful place. You write beautifully and really take your time to examine your thoughts and responses. I liked reading your comment about Coleridge took me back to my student days and all I was learning then that I thought I had forgotten. Good to be reminded sometimes of the real essence of creativity.

Sue said...

Lisa, thanks for your kind comments - I agree, each blog has its own feel and you can often pick out straightaway whether you will feel at home there - good luck with your new blog! I enjoyed looking at your vintage things :-)

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Reading you always makes me aware of the limitations of my own creativity. Perhaps this will be the year of exploring a different part of me!

Sue said...

Heck Elizabeth, being me makes me aware of the limitations of my creativity!

*Marie* said...

Dear Sue, thank you sooo sooo much for your sweet wishes!!!! I guess I can use them very well, cause this year we will hopefully start with the renovation of our house. Last year we had so much trouble with the old owners. We fight for our right since 1 1/2 year. Cause the house has so many damages we didn´t see them as we bought the house. I can´t wait to paint the children rooms and old windows ....and ..and ... and
I wish you for this year ..lot of health and luck and the power and inspiration to make people happy with your beautiful, beautiful creations:)... Take care of you and your family.... hugs *Marie*