a big adventure

On Monday I returned from spending six days alone in New York City, where, for reasons too complicated to enter into, I stayed in my ex-husband's apartment near Times Square, partly packing boxes and sorting out paperwork, and partly exploring the wonders of Manhattan.

This was my first ever trip to New York, but it was a little bit like visiting somewhere I'd been in a dream: despite the fact that I watch hardly any telly or film, almost everywhere was recognisable either visually or by name. Quite strange.

There was quite a lot of weather during my stay, and if I wasn't drowning, I was being blown along sideways, shaking the snowflakes out of my hair, or shivering, comedy style. Central Park looked beautiful with its light white dusting.

The concept of indoors suddenly became rather attractive, and that was easy enough with the vast assortment of museums, galleries and exhibitions on offer. I spent a very happy hour filling my notebook with scribbles and sketches here...

...and the highlight of my trip was meeting the beautiful, stylish, and very lovely Frances of blogging fame, with whom I visited the marvellous Metropolitan Museum of Art to see their brand new Pierre Bonnard exhibition. I knew very little of Bonnard but was mesmerised by the delicate beauty and magic of his work. I was then treated to a surprise visit to the New York Society Library, a secret gem just off Fifth Avenue, which was beautiful enough on its own but just perfect for a curious library assistant like me.

But it wasn't all about culture. There was plenty of eating, and I'm pleased to be able to report that Manhattan provides generously (and beautifully) for the gluten-free muncher...

Having discovered the brilliant bus system, I spent many happy hours bobbing around the city sightseeing, and especially loved the Upper West Side, where I spent some of my holiday dollars at Knitty City, and strolled the elegant and very desirable streets. I also had to pop into Purl, of course, which is an absolute must if you are visiting.

On the last day I took a bus all the way to Battery Park at the southern tip of the island, skirting the strange, empty space that is Ground Zero, and ending up with a brilliant free trip zipping across the water on this...

But oddly, perhaps the best experience of the whole visit was not in New York at all, but seen from the window of the plane at an altitude of 40,000ft... the icy sea off the coast of Canada, and its silent, wild, ice-bound shore and beautiful forests, illuminated by a brilliant, soft sun. Magic.

6 comments:

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

You lucky thing! New York and Frances too. I am so envious. I would have loved to have had your week.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue, sounds like you packed a lot into your week. I loved the museum of modern art and the folk museum. i never got to visit purl but would love to. Hope you came back inspired and with new ideas. thanks for the words of encouragment the other day, sometimes you feel like everyone else seems to know exactly what they are doing and your the only one a bit confused, hope we both get there in the end. Ness x

Gigibird said...

Is that Canada? Please excuse my geographical ignorance.....I can remember being mesmerized by it when I went to NY a few years back.....

I’m so pleased you had some lovely times while you were there on your own.

And I’m pleased you are back safe and sound.

Sue said...

It is indeed Canada... we flew very far north, apparently to avoid jet stream air which was further south... my airport contacts have informed me that we went just about as far north as you ever go on a flight to the east coast of the US. It was brilliant.

Gilly said...

My, you did get to see a lot! And what a huge ferry! When you told me about it I imagined something about a quarter the size, like the IOW ferries! But then everything in the US seems to be a great deal bigger than I imagine! ;)

And it is nice to have you back home again, safe and sound!

Frances said...

Hello from New York, and many thanks for your kind words. It's great that you did enjoy our crazy, big, beautiful in its own way, city. Sorry that we weren't more gentle with the weather!

I love your pictures, particularly the one shot from the air.

Spring and autumn are also fantastic times for a visit....

Cheers!