hat pattern extra!

For those interested in the hat pattern mentioned in the post below, it is a 1936 beret pattern which can be found here.

I made a few adaptations...

I had no idea what 'sports yarn' was, and since my aim anyway was to use up oddments of yarn from my stash, I improvised a bit...well, quite a lot...

I used two 50g balls of white/cream baby four-ply and crocheted them together, thus achieving something approximating a double-knit weight. To best accommodate this, I used a 5mm hook.

Pattern-wise, I chose to work in half-treble (half-double if you are from the US) crochet rather than single. I would also work the first couple of rounds differently if I was making it again: the instructions as written create a pronounced peak to the hat which in my view had unwelcome associations with Smurfs. I dealt with this by tucking it in from the back and hiding it with a few stitches, but you would be better advised to start with 18 stitches, then work even for one round, then begin to increase as usual. Oh, and I recommend the magic circle method of starting off.

To make the perky little flower, I used Teresa's brilliant tutorial on YouTube.

If you can't crochet or want to learn new stitches or techniques, I can't recommend Teresa highly enough. Along with her two accomplices, the Pause and Rewind buttons, she is a very fine teacher indeed. She will also teach you the magic circle technique if you so desire.

5 comments:

A time to dance said...

Hello...I am Helen from Cocoa and Blankets and I have just discovered your lovely blog via my friend Viv at Hens teeth..I have just spent a lovely half hour reading and admiring...the gardens are wonderful...although I am 40 something Prisoner escaped my youth...I also loved the beautiful birds.......thank you for your interesting posts...H

Gilly said...

Hmmm! Sounds awfully difficult to a real beginner like me. Perhaps the weather will get warmer soon! :)

Sue said...

Mum!!! It is SO easy! Honestly - it is no harder than that little blanket you made. It's just adding and taking away stitches. A monkey could do it...

...? (maybe)

Linda Jo said...

Found you from Viv! Love your blog..I will be back. My mother crocheted all her life and I never learned....knew I had her to do it for me. She's been gone for almost 5 years. I can't bring myself to learn to crochet...it seems wrong since I wouldn't allow her to teach me...this one thing that she SO loved doing.

Kaylovesvintage said...

looks great, I'm not got in making a hat, guess a scarf will be just ok