a little rest

I have been feeling a little bit deaf recently... as if my hearing range has shrunk and the low, resonant notes, the high, delicate notes, have been tuned out. All I have been hearing is the flat, tinny thumping of life's main tune. The harmonies, the ornaments, the nuances are silent for me at the moment. An experience shared by most women, mothers and grandmothers at different times of life, I am certain.

Luckily we have a week's holiday coming up in the beautiful Wye Valley where I am hoping that my ears will open up to a fuller, richer music again. A week on the side of a wooded hill, walks by the river, evenings by the fire, days spent poking in bookshops, drinking tea and soaking up the early autumn sun. A week without teenagers or babies and their attendant laundry, mess and meals. Without hospital trips, waiting rooms or work. Without the builders next door, reality tv blaring out, arguments, shouting or dreadful so-called music on the car radio.

A lovely rest. I really need it.

13 comments:

Gigibird said...

let's hope you get one then!

Squam Hill Design said...

A week without teenagers or babies and their attendant laundry, mess and meals.



aaaaahhhh I want a rest too...can I come along?

Have a lovely time and rest up,
Jennifer

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Have a lovely rest Sue. Hope you enjoy the tranquility of the Wye Valley.

Jeanne x

ginny said...

have a lovely peaceful rest.
ginny x

Frances said...

Hello Sue,

Hoping that the time away from the usual sounds will refresh your ears and let you hear all sorts of beautiful things.

Also want to say how much I do like all that you have had on sale in your Mouse shop. I would have taken the lot if I lived closer!

As another commenter has already written, I would also love to tag along with you on this upcoming refreshening break. Quite a lot on my plate just now.

xo

Hollace said...

Have a refreshing time. I hope you hear water burbling in the brook and birds chirping and wine being poured.

arlee said...

ahhhhhhhhhh sounds like heaven--i think we are all so inundated every day with so many small things, that we forget how nice it is sometimes to be away from even the small things :}

Chrissie said...

I have 'fond' memories of the Wye - my little sister floated off down-stream in a car inner-tube when we were swimming as girls and years later I went canoeing there with her husband and we kept running aground on sand-banks and ended the trip scarily in the pitch dark! Anyway - YOU have a good time and come back with your hearing restored!

Gilly said...

You definitely need a rest! Have a wonderful time!

Tracy x said...

enjoy every second lovely lady
t x

A time to dance said...

Have a really lovely break...wish we were going away somewhere nice...love and hugs to all...H

BadPenny said...

Have a wonderful restful time.

hens teeth said...

It all just gets a bit too much at times. Turn your phone off.... I wish you peaceful, beautiful break. x